Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Barcelona and since then...

Life has been crazy busy lately.  I went to Barcelona for 8 days and had an amazing time!  While there I decided I am going to learn Spanish.  It is my new goal that in the next 2 years I will learn Spanish.  If any Oregon teacher is reading this and knows...  Can I make Spanish lessons from a company that just teaches Spanish (not a college) count towards my whatever it is I need to renew my teaching license in Oregon???  I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone!

I went to Barcelona with 3 other teachers from my school.  We did a great job of relaxing, partying, and site seeing.  I think it was the perfect mix.  We spent one day sitting and laying on the port people watching and enjoying the sun, another day laying on the beach and exploring the beach front area, we did a free walking tour of Gaudi's buildings, we went to Park Guell, we went up to MontSerrat, a montasery with an amazing view, shopped, explored the city, went to the big outdoor market, walked La Rambla, went to some small pubs and big clubs, met people from all over.  We had 2 French guys and 2 German guys in our hostel that we became pretty good buddies with.  It was amazing!  One night Lauren and I sat at a bar and talked with 2 guys from Spain.  They would teach us Spanish and we would trade and teach them English, it was awesome!  While I was there I decided I think I was meant to live in Spain.  Everyday I would wake up late and go get a chocolate croissant from a small bakery 3 doors down from our hostel, usually go get a Starbucks, do whatever we were doing for the day, have a siesta (I swear these were invented for me!), have a late dinner with 3 desserts, which we all split :), go hangout at the hostel for a bit and then go out.  The Spanish daily time schedule is so much better for me than the American or Polish one.  They sleep in late, have a siesta in the middle of the day, and go to bed late.  Why can this not be everywhere?!?!?!?!

The week we got back was crazy!  It's amazing how crazy kids can become after being away from school for only one week.  It's like they don't remember any of the rules that they have been following for the past 3 months...  It was a rough 4 day week, but it ended well and this week is better.  That's the good thing about teaching everyday is totally different.  You can have a terrible day one day and the next day can be a great day.  I am learning just how important it is to be a good parent...  If I ever have kids I swear I will be the strictest mom.  My staff is amazing and so supportive though.  I love all of them and am so happy that I am at a school where everyone gets along, everyone supports each other, trusts each other, and helps each other.

On Sunday (11/7) I went on a hike with 10 other teachers in the Czech Republic.  It was amazing!  The hike itself was really easy and not even really a hike, but the views and nature were crazy!  The whole place used to be underwater and there were these huge sand stone rocks that are like nothing I have ever seen in the U.S.  I'll post pictures on facebook.  We also got to see the source of a river and saw the bubbles coming up from the sand were the water was entering into the stream, it was pretty neat.   It rained the whole time we were on the hike, which made me think of home and actually made me miss Oregon a little.  It's funny a lot of the teachers were bummed that it was raining and it just seemed totally normal to me.

This week we only have a 3 day week because Thursday is some Polish holiday and then Friday is a bridge day because its silly to just randomly not go to school for one day in the middle of the week.  So anyways, I don't have school on Thursday or Friday, so I leave tomorrow night (Wed. night) for Scotland!!  I'm so excited!!!  This means that my country count is up to 6!!  The U.S., Canada, Poland, Germany, Spain, and now Scotland...

No comments:

Post a Comment