Sunday, September 12, 2010

Loving Sunny Fall Days!

School:
This week was good, but so tiring.  It was the kids first week of going all day and it was a little rough for them.  By the end of the week I realized we needed to just play at the end of the day and we needed rest time.  I literally turned off the lights and told them to just lay down on the carpet and relax.  Poor little guys!  We also had Parent Night on Wednesday.  I was a little nervous about it, but so tired by the time it came that I couldn't even think.  It actually went well minus that the parents didn't want to leave and pretty much had to be kicked out (nicely obviously lol).  I wasn't too nervous and I knew the answers to all their questions.  I'm realizing they are really supportive, they just want to be fully informed about everything that is going on and how their child is doing, which makes sense.  The kids are still hilarious.  There little 5 year old words mixed with their accents are so funny.  I find myself talking to them with some random mix of their accents with the poorest grammar ever because I'm around them so much.  Definitely need to work on this considering I'm supposed to be teaching them English along with the curriculum.  In my defense another teacher said she found herself doing the same thing.  I'm actually getting freaked out that when I come home I'm going have weird grammatical speaking skills.  Advanced warning so no judging!

Me Time:
Jeff got here on Friday night so I've been showing him around a little bit.  I don't know the city that well myself yet, so I'm not a great tour guide, but I try.  We went to the Rynek (town square) and walked around the city.  Saturday we went out with a couple other teachers.  They took us to a bar called "Mexico Bar".  It had Mexican food and it was amazing!!  I seriously didn't know I would miss Mexican food so much, but I do!  Actually, Mexican Independence Day is on Wednesday (it's not Cinco de Mayo like we think) and some of the teachers from last year are good friends with some of the Mexicans here (there are like 15 total in the whole city).  Well, the Mexicans are hosting a big party and they invited us!  I'm so excited for real authentic Mexican food!  I know enough about food.  Sorry!  So, I'm doing that on Wednesday, which will lead to an interesting Thursday I'm sure.  That's why I'm here though, to experience everything possible.  Maybe we'll need an extra long rest time on Thursday :).  Today (Sunday) was the most beautiful day I think since I've been here!  It's definitely fall and the weather has been pretty cold and kind of rainy.  Today was sunny and about 70 degrees.  It was the perfect fall day!  Jeff and I met up with two of the teachers and went kayaking on one of the rivers here.  It was awesome!  We were kayaking right by Cathedral Island, which is this place in Wroclaw that's not really an island, I don't think...  Anyways, it has a couple of huge, beautiful churches, neat old buildings, and a really cute bridge where you engrave locks with your name and the name of the person you love then hook the lock on the bridge and throw the key in the water to signify that your love will be forever.  Sappy yes, but really cute and fun!  I know a little weird that I like it so much, maybe Poland's making me soft lol.  Then we walked around the Rynek and got beers with the teachers at this neat pub I'd never been to where they have all kinds of crazy different beers (honey, caramel, chocolate).  Oh, side note, in Wroclaw, and I think maybe the rest of Poland, lots of people order beer with raspberry suki (translated juice, but really syrup) in the beer.  It sounds gross, but it is SO good!  I'm hooked!  It was such a fun and relaxing day!  It did make me miss home a little, just because Portland and Eugene are just so pretty in the fall.  I've decided if I could just have Duck football games and pumpkin spice lattes it would be perfect here :)  And obviously all of my friends, but those are the materialish things that I find myself missing.

P.S.  It is my goal today to post pictures on facebook, so if your wanting to see my classroom and some of Wroclaw check there.  I haven't figured out how to put them on here/if it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment